Winterim Trips 2019
In addition to the many classes and internships, Wheaton Academy strives to provide unique opportunities to grow in relationships and service across the globe through trips. Going on a Winterim trip with Wheaton Academy is a chance to bond with staff and other students in a concentrated manner outside of the normal classroom environment. Most of the trips offered each year are introduced to the student body in the spring semester for the following January. This timeline allows trip sponsors to make the necessary preparations. In the fall semester, there may be a few additional trips presented to the student body.
Winterim dates are January 7 – 18, 2019. Some trips may require weekend travel, and some trips may use the first few days of Winterim to team build and prepare for the trip. Exact dates for each trip will be available as Winterim 2019 draws closer.
Each Winterim trip has a clear purpose to ensure that Wheaton Academy provides a balance in our Winterim curriculum and to communicate a clear expectation for each trip’s activities and mission. Each trip leader has designated the purpose of each trip on the individual trip pages. See the below description to further clarify each purpose:
- Educational: The purpose of the trip is to use travel to strategically expose our students to academic lessons that enhance their learning experience.
- Adventure: The purpose of the trip is to teach the students skills through hands-on adventure and experience.
- Leadership Development: The purpose of the trip is to strategically train and equip students with leadership skills through experiences in another environment or culture.
- Faith in Action: The purpose of the trip is to provide an opportunity for students to step outside of themselves as they put their faith in action through interactions with other people and cultures.
- Service and Mission: The purpose of the trip is to provide an opportunity for students to physically serve and live amongst people in an impoverished community to primarily be the hands and feet of Jesus.
We are pleased to offer so many interesting and exciting Winterim trips in 2019! Please be sure to click on the trip name on the left side of this page to read about the trip description, trip sponsors, approximate student cost, grade/gender and other prerequisites. If you have questions about a specific trip, please contact the trip sponsor listed. If you have any questions on any of these policies or Winterim trips, please contact the Winterim Trip Coordinator, Mrs. Heavey.
Application Process and Policies for 2019 Winterim Trips
How to apply
- Students and parents should carefully read the trip description to be fully informed about the trip, trip sponsors, student cost, and prerequisites.
- Be sure the student meets the prerequisites listed and is able to physically, emotionally, spiritually and mentally be an active participant on the trip for which the student is applying.
- The link to the Winterim application will be posted on Academy Central and the bottom of this page. Check announcements on Student Center.
- The student should complete the online application with a parent nearby, and parents should not complete the application for students.
- The student will have to complete the application in one sitting. The program does not allow for the student to save and finish at a later time.
- To complete the application process, students must mail or drop off a $1000 check (made payable to Wheaton Academy) in an envelope addressed to “Mrs. Heavey/Winterim” with the student’s name clearly written on the back of the envelope. Students can always drop the envelope off at the front office and it will get to Mrs. Heavey.
- Both Applications and deposit checks must be turned by 3:30 p.m. on Friday September 7th.
Important Policies (please read carefully)
- Application/Deposit: A completed online application and $1000 deposit made by check must be received before an applicant will be considered.
- Commitment: Once a student applies, is accepted and the roster is published, the student may NOT switch to another Winterim trip.
- Due Date: Applications and deposits received after the deadline will be taken into consideration once all other Winterim trip applications have been processed.
- Freshmen Applicants: We are excited about the opportunity for freshmen to travel on Winterim trips during their first year at Wheaton Academy. We may require a brief interview with the Winterim Coordinator and/or trip sponsors with freshmen students for trip placement purposes.
- Grade Requirements: Students are applying for trips open to the grade they will be in the fall of 2018.
- Parent or Student Organized Trips: Click here to learn about our policy for parent or student-organized trips.
- Payments: All trips must be paid in FULL by the due date(s) set forth by the trip sponsor – or the end of October – whichever comes first.
- Refunds: A refund of the Winterim trip deposit may be given if a written request is made to Mrs. Heavey BEFORE the rosters are finalized. Once a student has committed to a trip and the trip sponsor has begun purchasing items for the trip, any money used from this deposit cannot be refunded. The deposit ensures a spot for the student on the trip and helps trip leaders solidify budget and trip costs. Please understand that, once rosters are determined, any and all trip payments are non-refundable. A family may want to pursue purchasing trip cancellation insurance within 14 days of the rosters posting (please see Mrs. Heavey for any guidance in purchasing this insurance). No refunds can be granted or transferred to another account within Wheaton Academy for Winterim mission trip donations. Click here to read our policy for Tax Guidelines for Short-Term Missions Trips.
- Student Health: In order to insure the safety of students and chaperones, students who participate on trips at Wheaton Academy must be in good health, both physically and emotionally. For students who are struggling with health issues and wish to go on a Winterim trip, a meeting must be set up with parents, the student, a Wheaton Academy school administrator and other necessary personnel. This step is to make certain that appropriate plans and staff are in place to successfully handle any health issues while on a trip. This meeting is necessary to determine the best course of action for the Winterim trip and all participants before commitments are made.
- Student Behavior: Students must abide by the expectations and standards outlined in the Student handbook both before and during trip duration. These expectations include policies on academics, behavior, and attendance. A student’s failure to abide by these policies at any time may affect roster decisions. The school reserves the right to remove a student from a trip before or during the trip for failing to meet these expectations as well.
- Student Safety and Protection Policy: We want to ensure the safety and well-being of our students as they travel with Wheaton Academy. As a result, Wheaton Academy reserves the right to evaluate whether a student is fit to travel. Click here to review the situations that may prohibit student travel during Winterim.
- Trip Costs: The costs listed on each trip page are an approximate price for the trip. The cost of group travel is largely affected by total participants. Once trip rosters are determined and trip leaders know the total number of students traveling, they will contact parents with the actual trip price. We did our best to estimate the trip price, and we believe our approximate price is within $100 of the actual trip price.
- Trip Options/Choices: Students will be asked to make a 1st trip choice and a 2nd trip choice. If a student does not meet the prerequisites or the trip is full for his/her 1st trip choice – the student will automatically be considered for his/her 2nd trip choice, if one is selected. We encourage all students to select a 2nd choice as we cannot guarantee a spot on the roster of their 1st choice. If a student does not wish to be considered for any trip other than the 1st trip choice, student will select “no 2nd choice” on the application and the deposit will be returned. The student will take classes during Winterim 2019.
- Tuition Account: Students who wish to participate on a Winterim trip must be current in their WA tuition account at the time of application and until the trip departure.
- Air Travel Policy: All students will be traveling with their group and may not use family mileage or upgrade options to make individual changes to the group travel plan.
- Note: Due to the limited number of spots available on our trips, we cannot guarantee that a student will be placed on a Winterim trip. We will do our best to honor the student’s first and second choice.
Winterim Trips 2018-2019
- Basketball – Boys Varsity
- Culture and Art of Italy
- Exploring Eastern Europe
- Washington D.C.
- Wrestling Trip
- Basketball – Girls 10th, 11th, and 12th grade
- Costa Rica – Male Students Only
- Haiti and the Dominican Republic
- Faith, Farming, and Fiji
- Israel Study Tour
- Scotland and London
- Spain-Female Students Only
- The Standard of Conduct Contract for Student Travelers (opens in new window)