1. English Proficiency Requirement
Students applying for the Illinois State Seal of Biliteracy or Commendation Award must demonstrate proficiency in English and an additional language. The SAT is the state academic assessment for high school. Districts may use results from the ISBE-provided SAT School Day administration or an alternate SAT session to determine whether a student meets the award’s English proficiency requirement, which is the English language arts/reading standard set by the state. On October 18, 2017, the Illinois State Board of Education approved a minimum English language arts (ELA) score of 540 to meet standards on the SAT.
2. Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement
Option 1. Students must score I5 or higher on the ACTFL Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL) Form B.
Option 2. Students must score 4 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP®) Language and Culture exam.
- Student must complete an application and submit it to the World Language Department coordinating teacher.
- Student must provide the official scores on both the English and Foreign Language option of his/her choice (see above).
- World Language Department will communicate to Registrar that the Seal of Biliteracy Requirements have been met.
- Seal of Biliteracy with description will be added to transcript in “Awards or Recognitions” section of the transcript. If a student meets this requirement AFTER graduation, it can be added to transcripts (if the student is waiting for the AP exam score)